10 May 2018Hot off the Press
Image credit: Agence France-Presse
Israel’s Defence Forces (IDF) claim Iranian forces in Syria fired around 20 missiles at Isreali military positions in the occupied Golan Heights on Thursday.
According to an IDF spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus, several missiles were intercepted by Israeli defences and those which were not did not cause any casulties.
The spokesman said Israel had “responded” but did not provide any further details.
“At approximately 12.10, 10 minutes past midnight, forces belonging to the Iranian Quds Force fired approximately 20 projectiles – most of them are probably rockets but that is yet to be determined – towards the forward line of IDF positions in the Golan Heights,” he said, as cited by The Guardian, adding that a preliminary assessment found no serious damage.
If confirmed, the attack could see an escalation in the already-heated region.
Following the US’ withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, Isreali forces in the Golan Heights have been on high alert.
“The IDF views this Iranian attack very severely,” Lietuenant Colonel Conricus said. “This event is not over.”
Syrian state news said missiles from Israel had been intercepted and reportedly hit Quneitra province, adjacent to the Golan Heights. However it is unclear whether the two incidents are related.
Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a theatrical presentation of alleged evidence that Iran was continuing the development of nuclear weapons in violation of the 2015 nuclear agreement.
Experts have dismissed much of the evidence as being from before the 2015 deal.
Regardless, this latest development could signal a new level of escalation leading to confrontation between Iran and Israel.