Trump: ‘If not for me, we would now be at war with North Korea’

4 July 2018

Trump: ‘If not for me, we would now be at war with North Korea’

Talks with North Korea are “going well”, US President Donald Trump wrote in a tweet, claiming that without him the United States “would now be at war with North Korea”.

President Trump tweeted:

The tweet comes as US diplomats discuss denuclearisation with Pyongyang following Mr Trump’s meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un last month.

According to the US State Department, ongoing talks remain positive between US and North Korean delegations, including those over the weekend, regarding further implementation of the agreement reached at the June 12 summit.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is set to visit Pyongyang on Thursday (local time) to kick off the next stage of negotiations.

The Trump Administration is yet to respond to reports that US intelligence agencies believe North Korea has been expanding its weapons capabilities despite the summit.

However, President Trump’s national security advisor, John Bolton, revealed on Sunday a highly ambitious new plan which involves complete denuclearisation of North Korea within a year.

Mr Bolton said Secretary Pompeo will be discussing it during his visit.

Known for his hard-line views on North Korea, Mr Bolton saidĀ if Pyongyang has decided to relinquish its nuclear weapons program and is cooperative, then “we can move very quickly” and the DPRK will receive sanctions relief and aid from South Korea and Japan.